Sunday, October 6, 2024

Student tailgate system created

Before Saturday's football game, ASMSU and other organizations will kickoff a new student-only tailgate with a DJ, reduced-cost concessions and IM sports activities.

"This is a chance for students to have their own identity in the tailgate," said Andrew Bell, ASMSU's Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs.

Drinking games were banned and tailgating hours were restricted last season after November's Notre Dame football game celebrations, during which 85 people were arrested.

The MSU Board of Trustees worked with ASMSU, the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety, Olin Health Center and other campus groups to provide a new tailgate system that would create a safer environment, Bell said.

The system designates the tennis courts near Chestnut Street and Wilson Road as a student-only tailgate area and requires students who want to park there to register for a parking pass on the ASMSU Web site.

There are 350 parking passes that will be randomly distributed each week to those who register. Passes cost $15, which is the same price people paid last year to park in the tennis courts. In past years, both students and non-students lined up in the early morning hours the day of the game to wait for the courts to open and purchase the passes.

"The lineup was not the safest thing," MSU Police Lt. Kelly Beck said. "You're blocking a public street. It was somewhat manageable, but because it was so lengthy, we didn't have enough officers on hand."

Selling parking passes in advance will eliminate the need for lining up at the tennis courts early in the morning, during which the tailgaters would begin drinking, Beck said.

Volunteers from IM Sports will host activities such as Spartans sports trivia, a football obstacle course and a soccer shoot-out with prizes including football tickets and Spartans sports gear. Some club sport teams will also provide games. People can sign up for IM Sports games and contests during the first hour of tailgating which will start at 7 a.m. Saturday.

"(We) are coming together trying to provide something for people to do other than drink," said IM Sports Assistant Director Johnny Allen.

A deejay will play music before the game and broadcast the play-by-play during the game for those who don't have tickets.

The new tailgate is aimed at promoting a fun, healthy atmosphere, Bell said.

"The whole point of tailgating is to get excited and pumped up about the football game," he said. "I would think coach Smith wants a wild, crazy crowd, not one that's in a drunken stupor."

Melissa Domsic can be reached at domsicme@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Student tailgate system created” on social media.