Thursday, October 10, 2024

Rock your body

Welcome back to "Rock your body," The State News fitness and nutrition column. Each week, we hit up our local experts with some questions and pass their wisdom on to you.

But before we get to the goods, we thought we'd tell you a little bit about who'll be giving you advice.

Tom Ostrander: Tom is the owner of Powerhouse Gym, 435 E. Grand River Ave. He is one of Michigan's top amateur bodybuilding competitors. Tom is a personal trainer with experience ranging from professional athletes to stay-at-home moms.

Jim Pivarnik: Jim is a professor of kinesiology and epidemiology. Trained as an exercise physiologist, his specialty is in physical activity and exercise on chronic disease risk. He is also director of MSU's Center for Physical Activity and Health.

This week, we asked:

SN: In your life, what have been the lifelong benefits of exercise and fitness?

Jim: I was always active as a child, although I was late to mature. I was almost always the smallest in my class. In high school, this made my organized sports activities few and far between. But at least I was able to maintain my activity levels by playing with the neighborhood children.

I at least didn't have excess weight to contend with when I did finally grow, and I was reasonably fit.

College was mostly intramural sports and stuff, like most students. Right after college I got into martial arts and began to run for training. It was at this point (about 23 years of age) when the running took on a life of its own, or perhaps I should say, took over my life. Although I was nowhere near a "real runner" in performance, I stuck with it over the years until triathlons arrived on the scene. From there on, I have tried to maintain some form of running, swimming and cycling for exercise.

Overall, it has been important that I have always enjoyed the activities I do, otherwise I wouldn't do them. Exercise is a normal part of my daily routine. I am happy for the added fitness benefits. For example, the ability to walk fast or run at a moment's notice, in a time of crisis, occasionally comes in handy.

I see others my age who are not active, and it makes me thankful that I have maintained my exercise routine over the years. None of us are getting any younger, or will we live forever. But I think the expression that exercise adds "life to your years," regardless of whether it adds years to your life, is appropriate for me.

Tom: Weight training and exercise have been part of my life since I was 11 years old. When I was younger, and playing pee wee football, my skill level was developing faster than my body. Well, I was moved up to play with the older children and, all of a sudden, I was an 11-year-old playing with 13 year olds.

Sometimes, at that age, because of puberty setting in at different times, that little two-year difference can mean the world. It was at that time, I was taught how to lift weights in order to strengthen my mind, body and soul. I was not involved in weight training to look good at the beach, but rather to build bone density, strong joints and ligaments, stronger muscles and have better self-esteem.

In 10 more years of football, I never once encountered a serious injury. Some people said starting me off so early would stunt my growth, but I grew another nine inches - reaching my full genetic potential.

Today I feel great. My body is in amazing shape, inside and out. I have my blood work done two times per year, and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are fantastic. I feel I actually look better and younger with each passing year.

I have fit friends who are 40 years old (I'm only 26) who could be sitting next to you drinking a beer and you would swear they are two years older than most of the students.

I honestly believe exercise is the fountain of youth.

Share and discuss “Rock your body” on social media.