Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Bush to visit Saginaw today

When President Bush stops his "Heart and Soul of America" tour in Saginaw today, it will be his 19th trip to the Great Lakes State since his bid for the presidency in 2000.

The Republican has visited Michigan more than any other president in U.S. history.

Bush will speak at 6:05 p.m. at Wendler Arena, 303 Johnson St. in Saginaw, about multiple issues, said Merrill Smith, Bush's Midwestern regional spokeswoman.

"He will address continuing to keep our homeland safe and secure and keeping the economy on the road to recovery," Smith said.

All free tickets to the event have been handed out, Smith said, but added she is sure Bush will visit Michigan again before the November election.

Though Saginaw is not a huge Bush support base, Bill Ballenger, editor and publisher of the Lansing-based newsletter Inside Michigan Politics, said the president is playing his cards right by stopping there.

"You go to Saginaw and will also hit Midland, which is very Republican and right next door," he said.

"You will get on TV, which covers that area and a lot of rural areas outside that tend to be more Republican. What he's doing is getting as much publicity as he can."

Smith said Bush is focusing on Michigan because the state is "one of the true battlegrounds, which Al Gore won in 2000 by only 5 percent of the vote."

On hand to support Bush in Saginaw will be about 200 members of MSU Students for Bush, a group of Spartans who rally support for Bush.

Their chairwoman, political theory and constitutional democracy junior Katie Allardyce, said she is ready to give support.

"When he comes to Saginaw, Bush will find the heart and soul of America," she said.

"His supporters there are very enthusiastic, and we will be spread all over the event leading his support group."

Share and discuss “Bush to visit Saginaw today” on social media.