Quick's album gathers guitar inspiration

Annie Quick loves her guitar. And why wouldn't she? It's a 1972 Gibson SG and her name is Georgette and the focus of Quick's sophomore release, "Bigger."

On the album, Georgette is personified into a female guitar player.

"I started writing songs about a particular character that I was thinking of, Georgette; I named her after my guitar," she said.

"Bigger" is an album full of alternative rock melodies along the lines of Veruca Salt sung by Quick, whose voice is similar to that of '90s rocker Poe.

All the music and lyrics on the album were written by Quick, in what she said was a relatively short time period.

It was easy to write about a character, rather than herself, she said. But many of Georgette's trials and tribulations are similar to those experienced by her creator.

"It ends up being a rock opera in a way," she said. "She's a chick guitar player, but she's kind of fragile as well as being a bad-ass."

Quick, a northern California native relocated to Harlem, has been labeled as a post-grunge rocker, a label she doesn't know the origin of.

"I don't even know where that came from," she said. "I'm just a rock musician. I'm just playing rock 'n' roll at this point in time and this is what it sounds like."

But listening to the deep quality of Quick's lyrics, the slow verses and the heavily distorted choruses of her songs, that label doesn't seem too far off.

For whatever post-grunge means, Quick's simple, yet original style would fit right into any other genre.

The song "Bigger" starts out with a distorted guitar that's reminiscent of the main riff to Pearl Jam's "Even Flow."

"Fed Ex" is a song about failure, and is reminiscent of some of the harder songs on Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill."

And it's a true story, Quick said.

"If you could Fed Ex my rejection to me/ I could sign for my own failure/ Yes, thanks, that would be so great/ Overnight convenience without the face-to-face."

Quick rolls into Lansing this weekend with a show at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave. on Saturday.

If you like this, you might also like: Veruca Salt, Poe, PJ Harvey

Suggested listening: When you find yourself thinking that all new music sucks, this will prove you wrong.

Share and discuss “Quick's album gathers guitar inspiration” on social media.