Sunday, October 20, 2024

Police investigate day-long feud

Racial comment between friends initiates brawl

MSU police are investigating a series of fights that stemmed from a racially charged remark exchanged between friends in Snyder Hall on Thursday.

When an 18-year-old white student couldn't reach a friend on his phone at about 2:30 a.m., he uttered a derogatory comment to a 17-year-old black student, sparking a day-long feud - which included a knifepoint threat - MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

"They were all friends, initially, until the comments were made, and that is when it went downhill," said McGlothian-Taylor. Because of the circumstances, she said it doesn't appear the incident is part of a broader problem.

In response to the remark, the 17-year-old punched the 18-year-old several times and kicked him out of his Snyder Hall room, police said.

When the 18-year-old returned to collect his belongings, he apparently pointed a knife at the 17-year-old. He was tackled by a third person before mentors broke up the fight.

On Thursday at about 6 p.m., officers responded to a call about a fight in a Snyder Hall stairwell. The 18-year-old suspect apparently was attacked by several black males.

"Witnesses stated that two people were watching while the others jumped him," McGlothian-Taylor said.

The 18-year-old declined medical treatment, even though he had visible red marks on his back, chest and neck. The 17-year-old and the third person from the earlier incident are believed to have been involved in the attack.

Police still are seeking others who might have been involved in the incident.

"I think this was an isolated incident because these people all knew each other, and the statements made it get out of hand," McGlothian-Taylor said.

McGlothian-Taylor said witnesses handled the incident correctly by contacting authorities immediately.

"If anyone ever sees anyone being assaulted, they should call 911 so officers can respond," she said. "That's what witnesses did in this case."

Anyone with information is asked to call the MSU Department of Police and Public Services at (517) 355-2222.

Share and discuss “Police investigate day-long feud” on social media.