Group to bring Asian-American fraternity to U

An Asian-Pacific American group on campus hopes to begin an MSU chapter of Lambda Phi Epsilon this semester.

Asian Fraternity Interest Group, a 16-student group, began a year ago in hopes to join the fraternity after working on various community service and volunteer activities to establish the group.

“You have to start as an interest group before you can join the fraternity,” said physiology junior Ryan Navarra, president of the Asian Fraternity Interest Group. “But we’re going to be the first Asian fraternity on campus.”

There is an Asian-Pacific American sorority on campus, Alpha Kappa Delta Phi, which was instated in 1998.

“We felt that as Asian-American males, it will definitely bring a brotherhood here,” Navarra said.

The Asian Fraternity Interest Group began their rushing process last weekend, where they became the Lambda Phi Epsilon-MSU Charter pledge class.

Navarra said not only will the fraternity be the first of its kind at MSU, but it will be one of the first in the Midwest.

The fraternity will be an asset to campus, said Asian Pacific American Student Organization President and biology junior major Marc Johnston.

“It’ll broaden our horizons and bring in people from the community,” Johnston said. “I think it’ll be popular because there hasn’t been anything like that on campus.”

Johnston said he hopes the organization will become an affiliate of APASO, like Alpha Kappa Delta Phi.

“We have a very close relationship with Alpha Kappa Delta Phi,” he said.

Lambda Phi Epsilon pledge Hugh Wong said he’s looking forward to the fraternity being instated.

“The main thing in all fraternities is to get a brotherhood,” he said. “But we’re not just a social organization.”

The physiology junior said the group has participated in blood drives as well as tutoring in East Lansing to generate community service.

“We basically want to just promote Asian-American awareness,” Wong said. “And in the greek system, there really is no Asian force.

“What if an Asian-American male wants to join a fraternity with members that all have the same background? We’re going to be that.”

Share and discuss “Group to bring Asian-American fraternity to U” on social media.