Thursday, October 3, 2024

Broadband bills could boost economy

Gov. John Engler signed the Broadband package into law Thursday, making high-speed Internet services more available throughout Michigan.

Legislators hope the package, consisting of three bills, will encourage businesses to both come to and stay in Michigan, thus boosting the state’s economy. This legislation was passed by both the House and Senate by nearly unanimous votes.

The three bills were sponsored by Sen. Valde Garcia, R-St. Johns; Sen. Leon Stille, R-Spring Lake; and Sen. John Schwarz, R-Battle Creek.

Anti-terrorism bill heading for governor

A bill that would force hospitals to create plans to counter bio-terrorism attacks has passed both the House and Senate and now awaits Engler’s approval.

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Martha Scott, D-Detroit, will ensure that hospitals prepare themselves with a bio-hazard detection and handling plan.

Bill would clear highways of abandoned cars

A bill that passed the state Senate on Thursday would tighten the rules regarding abandoned vehicles left on state highways.

This bill, which has been sent to the House, will allow an abandoned vehicle to be immediately removed from a state highway if the vehicle does not have proper registration tags.

If the vehicle is registered, the owner must remove it from the highway within 18 hours of abandonment before the car can be towed.

Program tries to mold future legislators

The Michigan Economic Development Corporation is offering a program for local government officials, which can help educate them about state and economic development strategies.

This program, which the corporation refers to as “boot camp,” is designed to train future senators and representatives on economic development.

For more information, call (517)241-1323.

Share and discuss “Broadband bills could boost economy” on social media.