Case Hall welcomes new cafe

James Madison freshman Eric Kildow cleans and examines equipment at the Barista Cafe in Case Hall on Saturday. The cafe opened last week . —

Students living on south campus will no longer have to trek to East Grand River Avenue for a cup o’ joe.

The Barista Cafe, located on the ground floor of South Case Hall, opened Feb. 12. The cafe is operated by Housing and Food Services, and features popular coffee and pastry items.

“It’s a good place to hang out,” said Eric Kildow, a James Madison freshman and Barista Cafe employee.

“I would definitely recommend it as a place for students to study and relax.”

The Barista Cafe is open from 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 4 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Kildow said the most popular items at the cafe so far have been the mocha, which is a caffé latte blended with chocolate and whipped cream, and the jumbo chocolate chip cookies.

Pastries such as scones, cookies, cheesecake and bagels are rotated on a daily basis at the Barista Cafe. The cafe also features Chai, hot chocolate, Tazo teas, SoBe beverages and bottled water.

Education freshman Tiffany Eisenmann said the Barista Cafe has a good atmosphere for studying.

“It’s very quiet, and a good place to read,” Eisenmann said. “They also have great hot chocolate.”

The cafe, which seats about 30, has Ethernet ports available for customers to use next to tables and couches.

Supervisor Elizabeth Lizinski said the cafe is still accepting applications for those students interested in employment.

“Many positions are being filled, but we’re putting names on a substitute list as well,” Lizinski said.

Prices range from $1.35 to $2.75 for coffee and baked goods. Specials are featured daily, and the Barista Cafe Coffee Club card offers a free cup of coffee for every nine purchased.

The Barista Cafe plans to display student artwork from the MSU Department of Art, and musical entertainment at the cafe is also going to be organized.

Share and discuss “Case Hall welcomes new cafe” on social media.