Los Angeles artist creates community project for new museum

Los Angeles and artist Fritz Haeg crochets a rug as part of his "Domestic Integrities" project on Monday evening, Sept. 17, 2012 at the former Barnes and Noble in downtown East Lansing. Old clothes, sheets and pieces of cloth were gathered to be woven into the rug. Natalie Kolb/The State News
Los Angeles and artist Fritz Haeg crochets a rug as part of his "Domestic Integrities" project on Monday evening, Sept. 17, 2012 at the former Barnes and Noble in downtown East Lansing. Old clothes, sheets and pieces of cloth were gathered to be woven into the rug. Natalie Kolb/The State News —
Photo by Natalie Kolb | and Natalie Kolb The State News

Los Angeles native artist Fritz Haeg was joined by local novice crocheters 4 p.m. Monday at 333 E. Grand River Ave., previously the location of Barnes and Noble, to create Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum’s first exhibit: Domestic Integrities.
Domestic Integrities has been a cooperative effort between Haeg and the museum that aims to support sustainability by incorporating local resources into the crocheting of a rug. The materials used for the rug were all donations of discarded T-shirts and fabrics from students and community members.

Residential College in the Arts and Humanities junior Taylor Davis said she particularly connected with Haeg’s sustainability philosophy.

“The vibe is authentic, and (Domestic Integrities) works to value different things that other people might throw away,” she said.

Haeg and exhibit participants opted to stretch the donated T-shirts, flags and any discarded fabrics across the floor of Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum. Aimee Shapiro, the museum’s director of education, said that while MSU students could benefit from discussion of sustainability, she hopes the exhibit has a broader impact on their outlook of art. Bringing art out of a gallery and into the community is what originally inspired the event.

“I hope students will take away that contemporary art is not just about going into a gallery and looking at an object,” she said. “It’s also about … community building, conversation, outreach and collaboration.”

Organizers of the exhibition weren’t concerned that the museum is still under construction. The 333 E. Grand River Ave. location actually contributed to the involvement of the community.

“(Domestic Integrities) is very much about activating the workspace and making oneself at home,” Shapiro said. “At an art museum, generally, you aren’t allowed to touch or make the work that’s on display.”

The final product Haeg and participants create will be featured at the museum until 2013, Shapiro said.

The rug was originally intentioned to feature a broad color spectrum, but Haeg decided to adjust his vision to have a little more at-home relevance with participants.

“We’re just focused on green and white today,” he said.

Share and discuss “Los Angeles artist creates community project for new museum” on social media.