Saturday, May 18, 2024

Obama addresses crowd aboard USS Carl Vinson

Obama

Standing on the polished court on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier, President Barack Obama lauded MSU and UNC’s basketball programs as two of the best in the sport’s history.

Sporting an olive flight jacket alongside First Lady Michelle Obama, the president praised the legacy of the two teams and recently passed legislation targeted to make it easier for returning veterans to find employment.

“We are so fortunate to be able to be able to witness to of the greatest basketball programs in history,” Obama said. “Two of the best coaches of all time — Coach Izzo, Coach Williams”

He championed a bill passed in the U.S. Senate this week that would give up to $9,600 tax credits to companies who hire returned veterans who have been unemployed for at least six months. The measure first was included in Obama’s American Jobs Act, which has stayed stalled in Congress from lack of public support, despite the president’s extensive efforts to push the bill.

The U.S. House might pass the new tax measures as early as next week.

The crowd elicited cheers when Obama mentioned the carrier’s role in the mission that killed Osama Bin Laden in May.

Obama, in acknowledgement of Veterans Day, thanked veterans and current service men and women.

“Every American citizen can make a solemn pledge today that we will find some way to support our troops,” Obama said. “We are committed to making sure that we served you as well as you served us.”

Share and discuss “Obama addresses crowd aboard USS Carl Vinson” on social media.