Local band dominates area’s pop-punk scene

Seth Rentfrow was just another solo artist promoting his music on MySpace, hoping someone would take interest in his work.

And then, one day, someone did.

The then-15-year-old Dansville, Mich., resident found himself the new lead singer of a pop-punk band.

After some older members left the group to attend college, he recruited other musicians to join the Lansing-based act, Way To Fall.

“Everything just kind of fit together,” he said.

To celebrate the release of its latest album, “All for Something,” the three-person band will host a CD release party at 5:30 p.m. Saturday at Mac’s Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing.

“The album itself has a special meaning to us, so we hope that people find enjoyment in it,” drummer Alex Chelf said.

Band members, who all attend Lansing Community College, said they hope the event will be as personal as other shows they have played at the venue, which is one of their local favorites.

“Mac’s (Bar) has that intimate relationship with the people that are there,” Rentfrow said. “It’s sweet to sell out Mac’s Bar with 200 kids smashed into the little area there versus 200 kids at The Loft, (414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing).”

The musicians, who grew up listening to groups such as Yellowcard, said their sound is comparable to Blink-182.

Rentfrow said the highlight of the band’s career was playing with pop-punk band Bowling for Soup and performing at Michigan-based music festival Bled Fest.

But he said they also enjoy playing locally, often at house parties on college campuses, including Grand Valley State University and Eastern Michigan University.

“It’s kind of our scene — all the college kids — (because) that’s where we’re at now,” Chelf said.

Irving Ronk, co-owner of Fusion Shows, a Michigan booking company promoting Saturday’s show, said the band recently has been dominating in their genre.

“It’s just one of those bands that work really hard to play together,” he said. “They’ve become a staple for Lansing-local pop-punk.”

Throughout the years, Ronk said the band has developed a loyal fanbase.

“They have a core group of friends that always come out to their shows,” he said. “That makes them work even harder.”

“All for Something” has been in the works for about a year and a half, and to release it, Rentfrow said band members had to dedicate a lot of time, energy and money. Chelf said the live performances make all these challenging aspects of being in a band worth it.

“It’s really amazing to have people recognize and appreciate your music — especially with live shows when people will get into it,” he said. “There’s nothing that I take more to heart than that, because without that, our music means nothing.”

Share and discuss “Local band dominates area’s pop-punk scene” on social media.