Marijuana found in system of driver in fatal accident

A driver in the Oct. 10 car accident that involved an MSU student and killed five people had traces or marijuana in his system at the time of the crash, according to press release from the Green Oak Charter Police Department.

Lyman Briggs freshman Humphrey Petersen-Jones was the only survivor from the 2002 Toyota Prius that cross the median and collided with a 2003 Chevrolet Blazer. A toxicology report shows the driver, Okemos, Mich., resident 18-year-old Matthew Kolstoe, tested positive for cannabinoids and THC, which are ingredients in marijuana.

Police have yet to determine whether the marijuana was a factor in the crash. The Green Oak Charter Police Department believes the driving speed of the Prius is a factor in the crash. It has not yet been determined whether the level of marijuana found were also a factor, but the presence of the drug is illegal, said Green Oak Charter Deputy Police Chief Jason Pless.

“Any sort of narcotic in a driver’s system is illegal in the state of Michigan,” Pless said.

Washtenaw County chief medical examiner Bader Cassin said traces of marijuana do not completely leave a person’s system until two weeks after they come in contact with it.

Share and discuss “Marijuana found in system of driver in fatal accident” on social media.