Aly Raisman files lawsuit against USA Gymnastics, USOC

Six-time Olympic medal winner Aly Raisman addresses Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar during her statement on the fourth day of Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 19, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Six-time Olympic medal winner Aly Raisman addresses Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar during her statement on the fourth day of Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 19, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

According to an article from the Lansing State Journal, Aly Raisman, six-time Olympic medalist,  has filed a lawsuit against the United States Olympic Committee, or USOC, and USA Gymnastics for failing to properly monitor ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

Nassar is currently serving a prison sentence for decades of sexual abuse against young patients.

The gymnast said she was abused on multiple occasions by Nassar. She said USOC and USA Gymnastics should have known about his predatory behavior and acted on that knowledge.

After being fired from USA Gymnastics in 2015, Larry Nassar was still practicing at MSU until 2016

MSU is not named in the lawsuit.

Raisman’s lawsuit, filed in California, states there was insufficient vigilance in preventing the abuse while he was affiliated with USOC and USA Gymnastics. Also, she said the organizations failed to halt further abuse by not reporting to MSU the reasoning behind his firing.

At Nassar's sentencing hearing in Ingham County, Raisman said, “Imagine feeling like you have no power and no voice. Well you know what, Larry? I have both power and voice and I am only beginning to just use them.”

Share and discuss “Aly Raisman files lawsuit against USA Gymnastics, USOC” on social media.