Nassar's jail time begins at high-security federal prison in Arizona

Larry Nassar is escorted out of the courtroom during the first day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Jan. 31, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County.
Larry Nassar is escorted out of the courtroom during the first day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Jan. 31, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar will begin his life behind bars at a high-security federal prison in Tuscon, Arizona that specializes in treating sex offenders.

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, or BOP, Nassar has been transferred from a facility in Michigan to a facility in Tuscon, Arizona, where he will start a 60-year sentence for child pornography crimes.

Nassar was also sentenced to 40 to 175 years in Ingham County and a 40 to 125 years in Eaton County for charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

The prison is one of nine other prisons that offer a Sex Offender Management Program, or SOMP, according to the BOP website.

The Tuscon prison offers a "Residential Sex Offender Treatment Program,"  which involves high intensity programming for a period of 12 to 18 months, according to the program's description.

"Participants learn basic skills and concepts to help them understand their past offenses and to reduce risk of future offending," the description of the program offered at the prison reads. "This treatment is offered to offenders evaluated to have low to moderate risk of reoffending."

However, according to the website, the program is offered "to offenders with a history of sexual offending and who volunteer for treatment."

It is not known whether Nassar has volunteered for this treatment.

Share and discuss “Nassar's jail time begins at high-security federal prison in Arizona” on social media.