Fifteenth lawsuit related to Nassar filed against MSU

Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News
Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News —

MSU is facing its 15th lawsuit regarding its handling of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

The new lawsuit was filed Monday in the Western District of Michigan federal court by Leslie Miller on behalf of Emma Ann Miller, age 15.

Emma Ann gave a victim impact statement during Nassar's sentencing in Ingham County, where she said MSU is still billing her for the medical appointments she was abused in.

Patients of Nassar's will not be billed, MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said in a previous State News article.

The lawsuit was filed by the Abood Law Firm and names the following as defendants: MSU, the MSU Board of Trustees, Nassar, former MSU Gymnastics head coach Kathie Klages, former College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean William D. Strampel, retired MSU professor of clinical psychology Gary Stollak, Clinical Director of MSU Sports Medicine Douglas Dietzel, former MSU doctor Brooke Lemmen, current athletic trainer Destiny Teachnor-Hauk, MSU Assistant General Counsel Kristine Moore, USA Gymnastics, Inc., Twistars USA, Inc. doing business as Gedderts' Twistars Gymnastics Club USA and Twistars founder John Geddert.

It alleges MSU did not meet its obligations set forth by MSU's Office of Institutional Equity and other offices, including not taking action about complaints before 2014.

Additionally, the lawsuit states that if MSU had removed Nassar after Amanda Thomashow reported her abuse in 2014, "Emma Ann Miller would not have been sexually assaulted by Nassar an additional Twenty-Six (26) times." 

The lawsuit demands a jury trial.

Attorney Andrew Abood could not be reached for comment at the time of publication.

Share and discuss “Fifteenth lawsuit related to Nassar filed against MSU” on social media.