Father who lunged at Nassar donates nearly $30,000 to survivor charities

Lauren Margraves addresses the court during her victim impact statement accompanied by her mother, father, and sister and victim Madison Rae Margraves on the second day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Feb. 2, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton. (Annie Barker | State News)
Lauren Margraves addresses the court during her victim impact statement accompanied by her mother, father, and sister and victim Madison Rae Margraves on the second day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Feb. 2, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton. (Annie Barker | State News) —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Randall Margraves, the father of three survivors of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse who tried to attack Nassar in court, donated nearly $30,000 to four area charities that support survivors of sexual assault.

An unauthorized GoFundMe page was set up for Margraves following the incident, where Margraves lunged at Nassar in Eaton County Circuit Court following two of his daughters' victim impact statements. The page raised more than $30,000 before it was suspended. 

In a statement by his attorney, Mick Grewal, Margraves claimed he did not need the money and any money not refunded would be donated to local charities.

The remaining funds, just under $30,000, have been donated in equal proportions to the organizations Small Talk, Relief after Violent Encounters, End Violent Encounters and the Firecracker Foundation, Grewal told the Lansing State Journal.

Margraves lunged at Nassar on Feb. 2 after hearing victim impact statements from two of his daughters, the contents of which he said he was unaware. After asking Eaton County Circuit Court Judge Janice Cunningham for "just one minute alone with that bastard," Margraves charged Nassar and was restrained by police. He later apologized, and Cunningham did not charge him with any crimes.

Margraves received an outpouring of support following the incident, with the GoFundMe quickly raising money. Much of the donated funds came from members of Margraves' union, IBEW 665, Grewal said.

Share and discuss “Father who lunged at Nassar donates nearly $30,000 to survivor charities” on social media.