Father who lunged at Nassar to donate GoFundMe earnings

Randal Margraves, father of Madison Rae Margraves and Lauren Margraves, has to be restrained after attempting to attack Nassar on the second day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Feb. 2, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton. (Annie Barker | State News)
Randal Margraves, father of Madison Rae Margraves and Lauren Margraves, has to be restrained after attempting to attack Nassar on the second day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Feb. 2, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton. (Annie Barker | State News) —

Randall Margraves, the father of three daughters who were sexually abused by ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, became the recipient of a GoFundMe page that raised more than $30,000 after his actions during Nassar’s second day of sentencing in Eaton County.

An unauthorized GoFundMe page called “Show Support for Randall Margraves” was set up for Margraves, who lunged across the courtroom at Nassar following his two younger daughters' victim impact statements on Feb. 2.

Since he lunged across the courtroom at Nassar in court, Margraves and his attorney, Mick Grewal, held a press conference, where they said the GoFundMe page was set up without Margraves’ knowledge. 

“While Randy deeply appreciates the outpouring of support, he says it is not needed for him,” Grewal wrote in a statement. “Those who donated to the fundraiser can choose to either get a refund or leave the donation to be given to charities that help survivors of sexual abuse.”

Grewal wrote that, after March 9, any remaining funds on the page will be donated to local charities like Small Talk, RAVE and the Firecracker Foundation

“At the time of the incident, I didn’t know that the great brotherhood had done this, and I was overcome with gratitude when I found out,” Margraves said in a statement. “I appreciate everyone stepping up to support me, but help is not needed for me. After giving people the chance to get a refund, the donations will go to organizations that help the sisterhood of survivors and other victims of abuse.” 

Margraves is also a member of IBEW 665. Grewal said much of the fundraised money came from supportive IBEW members both locally and nationally.

According to IBEW's statement, “IBEW 665 unequivocally supports Randy, his family, and all of the survivors of these horrible crimes. This situation has demonstrated the strength of the bond among our union brothers and sisters. It’s uplifting to see how willing people are to support those in need, and we’re glad to see the money going to organizations that help survivors of abuse.”

Grewal said there was a great deal of money raised within such a short period of time.  

"It was a huge outcry of support for Mr. Margraves and his family, but he did not know that the GoFundMe page was started by his brotherhood: the union," he said. "When he found out, you know, he was very thankful and very gracious, but he and his family don't need the funds. That's why he indicated that anybody who wanted a refund could have a refund back."

Grewal said he thinks donating the remainder of the funds to organizations that help survivors of sexual abuse is a "wonderful gesture" on Margraves' part.

"He has indicated that he is not a hero, all the survivors and women that are involved in this are the heroes," Grewal said. "This will help any future children or victims by donating to causes, such as Small Talk and Firecracker Foundation." 

Grewal said the Eaton County Sheriff's Department concluded their investigation on Margraves and that their report, which was released Thursday, said they have decided not to seek any charges. 

Share and discuss “Father who lunged at Nassar to donate GoFundMe earnings” on social media.