Men's basketball finishes regular season No. 2 in AP poll

Sophomore guard Cassius Winston (5) reaches for the ball as it edges out of bounds during the first half of the men's basketball game against Purdue on Feb. 10, 2018 at Breslin Center. The Spartans trailed the Boilermakers at the half, 36-31. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Sophomore guard Cassius Winston (5) reaches for the ball as it edges out of bounds during the first half of the men's basketball game against Purdue on Feb. 10, 2018 at Breslin Center. The Spartans trailed the Boilermakers at the half, 36-31. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

For the third straight week men's basketball comes in at No. 2 in the Associated Press Top-25 Poll that was released Monday.

The Spartans avoided a drop in this week's rankings by holding off the Wisconsin Badgers, 68-63, in the season finale at the Kohl Center Sunday.

MSU finished the regular season on a 12-game winning streak and has been steadily rising in the polls since its last loss to the Wolverines back on Jan. 13.

Two teams placed in last week's top-10 lost over the weekend. Then-No. 3 Villanova was upset in overtime by Creighton Saturday, and on the same day, then-No. 6 Texas Tech fell to the then-No. 8 Kansas Jayhawks at home in a clash of Big 12 heavyweights. 

The number one-ranked Cavaliers remained at the top spot after obliterating unranked Pittsburgh Saturday on the road, 66-37.

The complete rankings goes as follows:

1. Virginia 

2. MSU 

3. Xavier

4. Villanova

5. Duke

6. Kansas

7. Gonzaga

8. Purdue

9. UNC

10. Cincinnati

11. Wichita State

12. Texas Tech

13. Ohio State

14. Auburn

15. Michigan

16. Tennessee

17. Rhode Island

18. Clemson

19. Arizona

20. West Virginia

21. Nevada

22. Saint Mary's (Cal)

23. Kentucky

24. Middle Tennessee State

25. Houston

Share and discuss “Men's basketball finishes regular season No. 2 in AP poll” on social media.