Interim athletic director Bill Beekman releases statement

<p>Bill Beekman is interviewed by the media after the MSU Board of Trustees public meeting discussing MSU's presidential transition Jan. 26, 2018, at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)</p>

Bill Beekman is interviewed by the media after the MSU Board of Trustees public meeting discussing MSU's presidential transition Jan. 26, 2018, at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)

Bill Beekman released a statement on Feb. 5 after MSU interim president John Engler appointed him as interim athletic director.  

“I know your love and passion for MSU Athletics runs as deeply as mine,” Beekman said in the press release. “I was moved by our Izzone students and our women’s basketball team who showed their support for the survivors by trading in their green and white for teal this past week.”

Beekman said his goal is to make sure MSU will provide a healthy and save environment for coaches, staff and student-athletes.

“Our top priority is supporting the courageous survivors of Larry Nassar’s horrific abuse and providing them with the help they deserve,” Beekman said. “In the coming weeks, as President Engler has said, we will be moving swiftly to implement changes that will protect anyone affiliated with MSU from sexual assault, harassment, or bullying.”

Former MSU athletic director Mark Hollis retired on Jan. 26. The search for a permanent director is in the works and will be nationwide, according to interim president John Engler in a press release. 

Both Engler and Beekman have agreed for a culture change at MSU. It is not just one voice in the athletic department, but the entire athletic community, according to Beekman.

“Today is just day one,” Beekman said. “I look forward to having an ongoing dialogue that will help ensure our culture, and the policies and procedures that support it, protect the health, safety, and wellness of all Spartans. Spartans Will.”

Share and discuss “Interim athletic director Bill Beekman releases statement” on social media.