Interim president John Engler releases statement on presidency

Newly appointed interim president John Engler addresses the media on Jan. 31, 2018, at Hannah Administration Building. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)
Newly appointed interim president John Engler addresses the media on Jan. 31, 2018, at Hannah Administration Building. (C.J. Weiss | The State News) —

Interim President John Engler made a statement regarding his presidency on Jan. 31.

He encourages the MSU Board of Trustees to look for a full-time president, according to a press release. Since he was elected, he has faced criticism from the public.

“The following statement is something I wish never had to be written,” Engler said according to a press release. “The gravity of the situation is so serious and with so many lives affected, I and Spartans across the nation are in disbelief that this has occurred at our university. But it has and I stand here with a level of resolve to commit all of my energy toward finding solutions.”

A vote of no confidence from the Resident Halls Association was held for Engler and the Board of Trustees. Many have voiced their disapproval of Engler’s leadership. The public’s concerns were stated at town hall meeting hosted by MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam on Feb. 1. 

The March of Transparency was held Feb. 2 to address the town hall meeting and Engler’s presidency. 

Engler said his priority is the survivors. He wants to change the culture on campus and pave the way for the future permanent president.

“In the coming weeks, I will be moving swiftly and decisively to implement changes that will protect anyone affiliated with our campus from sexual assault, harassment or bullying,” Engler said according to the press release. Everyone should understand that this extends to all Spartans, on campus, off campus, in dorms, in frat houses, in apartments or wherever they may be. Anyone affiliated with the university will face the same scrutiny and the same expectations as to their conduct.”

Share and discuss “Interim president John Engler releases statement on presidency” on social media.