Engler announces new structure for MSU wellness programs

During a press conference Wednesday, MSU Interim President John Engler announced new changes to MSU's administrative structure for student wellness programs, including renaming the College of Human Medicine to “College of Medicine” and the appointment of two new officials.

“We want to better coordinate and integrate the delivery of care as well as the utilization of health resources,” Engler said. “We want to provide a uniform standard of excellence, to assure safe and quality care in a system with no wrong door for access.” 

Engler announced Andrea Amalfitano, current director of MSU’s Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, will be appointed as the interim dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine. 

He also announced Norman Beauchamp, current dean of the College of Human Medicine, will be appointed to associate provost and assistant vice president for health affairs.

Amalfitano said quality and safety when it comes to working with patients is his priority. 

Beauchamp addressed the failures within the administration regarding controversy surrounding the ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar cases and said he has an obligation to ensure safe, quality care for every patient. 

“People came to us, young women and their families, and we failed them,” Beauchamp said. 

Alongside Engler during the press conference stood Amalfitana, Beauchamp, Provost June Youatt and College of Nursing Dean Randolph F.R. Rasch. All of them, besides Youatt, wore teal ribbons or pins in support of sexual assault survivors. 

“We are committed to creating systems that provide the highest quality health care in all aspects of our clinical practices,” Youatt said. “Today’s announcement is an indication of that commitment.” 

During the press conference, Engler said addressing healthcare is a top priority at MSU. With this new health structure, Engler is hoping to focus on safety, quality and transparency. 

“We’re going to go where, frankly, no one’s gone before,” Engler said.

Engler also emphasized the need for mental health services at MSU. Although no specific announcements regarding changes to mental health services were announced at the conference, Engler said they will come in the future. 

“I think that people who have actual urgent medical needs probably are getting that cured pretty quickly, I think the mental health side of it is the one that worries me, that it’s taking too long,” Engler said. “The referral for services and the availability of help has to be shortened.”

These changes in the health colleges and student wellness programs will be addressed further at the Board of Trustees meeting Friday. 

Below are the live tweets from the press conference. Stay with The State News for more updates on MSU’s health services.

Share and discuss “Engler announces new structure for MSU wellness programs” on social media.