Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette to hold media conference on MSU investigation

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette claps as Gov. Rick Snyder addresses the audience during the State of the State Address on Jan. 23, 2018 at the Capitol in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette claps as Gov. Rick Snyder addresses the audience during the State of the State Address on Jan. 23, 2018 at the Capitol in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

Michigan Attorney General and gubernatorial candidate Bill Schuette will provide updates on his investigation into MSU in a media conference at noon on Saturday.

The press conference will be held at the G. Mennen Williams Building in Lansing, and will only be open to credentialed media members. 

A release issued by Schuette's office did not detail any specifics about what he will cover during the press conference.

MSU initiated the investigation Jan. 19 following a "work session" closed board meeting. The same day, the trustees initially affirmed their support for then-President Lou Anna K. Simon. Shortly after, trustees Mitch Lyons and Dianne Byrum called for Simon to resign.

MSU asked the attorney general's office to conduct the investigation in response to public outcry over the university's handling of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

"We are making this request because we believe your review may be needed to answer the public's questions concerning MSU's handling of the Nassar situation," the MSU Board of Trustees wrote in a letter addressed to Schuette. 

Lou Anna K. Simon stepped down Wednesday as MSU president, amid severe criticism of her handling of the Nassar situation.

For coverage of Saturday's press conference, stay with The State News.

Share and discuss “Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette to hold media conference on MSU investigation” on social media.