MSU Trustee Dianne Byrum calls for Pres. Simon to resign

<p>Provost June Youatt and Trustee Dianne Byrum listen to a statement from president Lou Anna K. Simon during the Board of Trustees meeting on June 6, 2017, at the Hannah Administration Building. The board discussed tuition, budget and facility renovations.</p>

Provost June Youatt and Trustee Dianne Byrum listen to a statement from president Lou Anna K. Simon during the Board of Trustees meeting on June 6, 2017, at the Hannah Administration Building. The board discussed tuition, budget and facility renovations.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

MSU Board of Trustee Member Dianne Byrum has called for MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to resign.

“It is clear that the public has lost confidence in the current administration of Michigan State University, and changes are needed to move the university forward," Byrum said in a press release. "First, I support the resignation of President Simon, effective immediately, and I support the investigation by the Attorney General that will provide a full accounting of what happened and take an important step toward restoring trust, which has understandably been shaken."

Byrum also addressed Trustee Joel Ferguson's "tone-deaf" comments.

"Second, I am disgusted by the abhorrent comments made earlier this week by Trustee Joel Ferguson, who does not speak for other members of the MSU Board in any way," Byrum said. "Unfortunately, through this terrible situation, the university has been tone deaf, unresponsive, unapologetic and insensitive to the victims. As a woman who has always fought for womens’ rights and victims’ rights, and encouraged women in all areas, it is deeply troubling to me that so much pain and suffering has been caused by my alma mater."

Byrum joins Trustee Mitch Lyons in calling for Simon's job.

Earlier Wednesday, the Michigan House passed a resolution telling Simon to resign.

Share and discuss “MSU Trustee Dianne Byrum calls for Pres. Simon to resign” on social media.