U.S. Senators Stabenow, Peters call for MSU President Simon's job

<p>Then-U.S. Representative Gary Peters, D-Bloomfield Township, Mich., addresses the people attending Michigan delegation breakfast at the Embassy Suites in Concord, N.C., on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012. (Samantha Radecki/The State News)</p>

Then-U.S. Representative Gary Peters, D-Bloomfield Township, Mich., addresses the people attending Michigan delegation breakfast at the Embassy Suites in Concord, N.C., on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012. (Samantha Radecki/The State News)

U.S. Senator Gary Peters called for MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to resign Wednesday night.

Peter's statement started by thanking the survivors of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's abuse for coming forward.

"However, it has become clear that the leadership at Michigan State University has failed to adequately prevent, address or respond to the victimization of young women and girls on its campus, and the crisis at MSU continues despite today’s verdict," Peters said in a press release. "Michigan State University has a long way to go in rebuilding trust with its students, athletes, faculty, alumni and the entire state of Michigan. To do so, it must have new leadership. As an MSU alumnus, I add my voice to those calling for President Simon’s resignation, and I will work in the U.S. Senate to address the failures that led us to this day.”

Peters joined two MSU Board of Trustee members, the Michigan House and many others in calling for Simon's job.

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow called for Simon to resign via Twitter Wednesday night.

"It’s clear that it’s in the best interest of these courageous survivors, their families, and our State for President Lou Anna Simon to resign," Stabenow's tweet said.

Editor's Note: This article was updated at 6:45 p.m. with Stabenow's tweet.

Share and discuss “U.S. Senators Stabenow, Peters call for MSU President Simon's job” on social media.