Aly Raisman accuses Nassar of sexual abuse

Alexandra Raisman of the United States won the bronze medal in the beam apparatus finals at North Greenwich Arena during the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, England, Tuesday, August 7, 2012. Photo courtesy David Eulitt/Kansas City Star/Tribune News Service
Alexandra Raisman of the United States won the bronze medal in the beam apparatus finals at North Greenwich Arena during the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, England, Tuesday, August 7, 2012. Photo courtesy David Eulitt/Kansas City Star/Tribune News Service —

Aly Raisman, six-time Olympic medal winner and one of the biggest names in the sport of gymnastics, has accused ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar of sexual abuse. She is, so far, the highest-profile gymnast to come forward with allegations.

According to CBS News, Raisman will reveal her experiences with Nassar on 60 Minutes on Sunday.

Raisman said she was 15 when she was first treated by Nassar. She's now 23.

"Why are we looking at why didn't the girls speak up?" Raisman told 60 Minutes. "Why not look at what about the culture? What did USA Gymnastics do, and Larry Nassar do, to manipulate these girls so much that they are so afraid to speak up?"

In August, Raisman criticized USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic Committee for how they have responded to the sexual abuse crisis. She said she feels as though the organizations were more concerned with protecting their image and protecting themselves legally than with preventing abuse in the future.

"I am angry," Raisman said. "I'm really upset because it's been — I care a lot you know, when I see these young girls that come up to me, and they ask for pictures or autographs, whatever it is, I just — I can't — every time I look at them, every time I see them smiling, I just think —I just want to create change so that they never, ever have to go through this."  

Raisman is also expected to discuss her new book, "Fierce," with 60 Minutes. The book, scheduled to release next week, will include her experiences with the alleged abuse.

Raisman's allegations follow allegations from teammate McKayla Maroney, a two-time Olympic medalist who accused Nassar of sexually abusing her throughout her career. Maroney revealed allegations in a tweet on Oct. 18, in which she included the hashtag #MeToo.

In her tweet, Maroney mentioned a specific instance of sexual abuse when she was 15 years old, in which she alleges Nassar gave her a sleeping pill on a team flight and assaulted her in his hotel room upon landing.

"I thought I was going to die that night," Maroney said.

Nassar is accused of sexually abusing over 140 women and girls under the guise of medical treatment. He was arrested in December 2016 on charges of possessing “at least 37,000” images of child pornography to which he has pleaded guilty. His sentencing for these charges is set for Dec. 7. 

Nassar additionally faces criminal sexual assault charges in Ingham County and Eaton County. Trials for these charges will begin in early 2018. He is also a defendant in a number of civil cases, many alongside MSU.

Share and discuss “Aly Raisman accuses Nassar of sexual abuse” on social media.