McKayla Maroney: "I was molested by Dr. Larry Nassar"

McKayla Maroney of the United States gets a hug from her coach after her performance on the vault as the U.S. women's gymnastics team goes on its way to winning gold in the team competition during the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, England, Tuesday, July 31, 2012. Photo: Brian Peterson/Minneapolis Star Tribune/MCT
McKayla Maroney of the United States gets a hug from her coach after her performance on the vault as the U.S. women's gymnastics team goes on its way to winning gold in the team competition during the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, England, Tuesday, July 31, 2012. Photo: Brian Peterson/Minneapolis Star Tribune/MCT —

McKayla Maroney accused former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar of abusing her throughout her career in a tweet early Wednesday morning.

In the post, the 21-year-old said that Nassar began the abuse when she was 13 and that it did not stop until she retired from gymnastics in 2016. Maroney is the latest of over 100 of Nassar's former patients who have accused the former MSU employee of sexual assault.

Maroney said Nassar repeatedly molested her under the guise of "medically necessary treatment," beginning with an incident at one of her first National Team training camps. The 2012 Olympic gold medalist pointed to a specific instance of abuse at the age of 15, in which she alleged Nassar gave her a sleeping pill on a team flight and assaulted her in his hotel room upon landing.

"I thought I was going to die that night," Maroney said.

Nassar has pled guilty to federal charges of possession of child pornography, and will face sentencing on Dec. 7 in Grand Rapids. His trial on charges of criminal sexual assault will not begin until early 2018.

Maroney's tweet featured the #MeToo hashtag that started trending as a result of other high-profile abuse accusations against film producer Harvey Weinstein. Victims of sexual misconduct have used the hashtag to tell their stories and bring awareness to the problem of sexual assault. Maroney's tweet noted that one of her reasons for accusing Nassar was in "bringing awareness to the abuse" that is "happening everywhere."

Share and discuss “McKayla Maroney: "I was molested by Dr. Larry Nassar"” on social media.