Demolitions kickstart upcoming changes to Grand River avenue

<p>Several workers survey the area during the demolition of the blighted building on Oct. 7, 2017, at the corner of Grand River and Abbot. Two lanes on Grand River in front of the building and part of Abbot were closed for safety.</p>

Several workers survey the area during the demolition of the blighted building on Oct. 7, 2017, at the corner of Grand River and Abbot. Two lanes on Grand River in front of the building and part of Abbot were closed for safety.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Grand River Avenue will see major changes during the next three years, as at least one new development project is built and blighted buildings are demolished.

Park District demolitions

The first blighted building intended to be replaced by the Park District Project was demolished Saturday, Oct. 7. 

The other building is scheduled to come down by Nov. 1, City Manager George Lahanas said. 

The buildings, along with portions of Evergreen Avenue, were intended to be developed into a 13-level hotel and a five-story condominium building.

The cost of the project was estimated at $154 million.

However, this development project fell through after current and former developers of the site could not reach a deal to transfer a $10 million Michigan Business Tax Credit. 

No new development plan has been submitted yet, but the City is confident the developer will submit something and begin construction in Spring 2018. 

The blighted Park District buildings have been empty for 16 years, Mayor Mark Meadows said.

No new development plan has been submitted yet, as the last one fell through, but the City is confident the developer will submit something and begin construction in Spring 2018. 

Center City District construction

In another change to Grand River Avenue, the Center City District project is scheduled to break ground in mid-October between Lou and Harry’s, 211 E. Grand River Ave., and Urban Outfitters, 119 E. Grand River Ave. Many business moved to accommodate the new development.

Center City will consist of two buildings, one a 12-story. The first floor will have an urban Target store and there will be 273 rental units located above it.

A four-floor parking garage with retail space on the first floor and housing above the parking structure will be built on Albert Avenue.

Businesses on the move

Below is a list of businesses that moved to make room for the Center City District project. The building that previously housed these businesses will be demolished prior to construction.

Charlie Kang’s Restaurant moved from 127 E. Grand River Ave. to 109 E. Grand River Ave. The restaurant has also been approved for a liquor license by the East Lansing City Council.

Clever Clover was the last business to move. Formerly located at 207 E. Grand River Ave., it will move to 317 E. Grand River Ave., where Krazy Katz, a glass and smoke shop, was located.

According to a sign posted in the store, it closed on Oct. 2 to relocate and should be open at the new location in mid-October.

The Grand River Barber Company moved to 507 E. Grand River Ave. It took over the former store front of Velvet A Candy Store, which closed on Feb. 20, 2017.

Noodles and Company relocated to 101 E. Grand River Ave., where Conrad’s Grill used to be. Conrad's Grill itself moved to 311 W. Grand River Ave., the former location of GoombaS Pizza,  which closed in May.

Sundance Jewelers relocated to 330 Albert Ave., next to Bul Go Gi Korean Restaurant. 

Verizon Wireless Premium Retailer, Cellular & More East Lansing, relocated to 103 E. Grand River Ave., next to Noodles and Company. 

Share and discuss “Demolitions kickstart upcoming changes to Grand River avenue” on social media.