Larry Sparkes named new East Lansing Police Chief

<p>East Lansing Police Chief Larry Sparkes. Photo courtesy of the City of East Lansing.</p>

East Lansing Police Chief Larry Sparkes. Photo courtesy of the City of East Lansing.

After filling in as interim Chief of Police since June, City Manager George Lahanas announced Larry Sparkes as the new East Lansing Police Chief Monday. 

Sparkes, a captain under previous Police Chief Jeff Murphy, has worked at ELPD since 1987. 

Sparkes was confirmed for the position after interviews with a community panel and key leaders from the city. Sparkes was one of three finalists considered for the position, according to a press release from the city. 

“Chief Sparkes’ proven leadership abilities, professionalism and dedication to serving the East Lansing community are among the reasons he was selected as ELPD’s new chief,” Lahanas said in the release. “We look forward to his continued achievements with the department and have the utmost confidence in his ability to step into this new leadership role.”

Sparkes served as a jail service officer for nearly a decade and was officially sworn in to ELPD as an officer in 1997. He earned his first promotion to sergeant in 2004 and became an administrative sergeant in 2009. 

Sparkes moved up to lieutenant in 2011, and was promoted to captain in 2015. 

“It’s been an honor serving the citizens of East Lansing over my 30 years with the department and I am looking forward to continuing to serve the community in this new leadership capacity,” Sparkes said in the release. “I am also looking forward to continuing to serve with the hard-working and dedicated officers and personnel who make ELPD what it is today – a department committed to the safety and well-being of those who call East Lansing home.”

Sparkes will be officially sworn in Aug. 25. The ceremony will take place at 2 p.m. at East Lansing Public Library. 

Share and discuss “Larry Sparkes named new East Lansing Police Chief” on social media.