MSU football continues to add recruits as Signing Day nears

Head coach Mark Dantonio reacts to a play during the game against Ohio State on Nov. 19, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Buckeyes, 17-16.

Just more than a week after four-star linebacker Antjuan Simmons committed to MSU, head coach Mark Dantonio acquired three more recruits from the class of 2017 this week as strong-side defensive end DeAri Todd, cornerback Tre Person and wide receiver Raheem Blackshear verbally committed to the Spartans.

A three-star prospect from Clearview High School in Lorain, Ohio, Todd is ranked No. 2,052 in the nation and No. 98 among strong-side defensive ends, according to 247Sports composite rankings.

Todd had made two official visits to MSU, but the Spartans had yet to offer. On Dec. 13, Todd committed to Boston College. He later withdrew his commitment on Jan. 22, two days after the Spartans finally offered.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound defensive end is ranked No. 80 in the state of Ohio and recorded 134 total tackles in his high school career along with 12 sacks, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries with one recovery resulting in a touchdown, according to MaxPreps.

Todd also caught 20 receptions for 290 yards and three touchdowns in his career.

Recruited by secondary coach Harlon Barnett, Person — a three-star recruit from Atlanta, Ga. — is ranked No. 1,901 nationally, No. 190 among cornerbacks and No. 209 in the state.

Person recorded 75 solo tackles, 119 total tackles, four sacks, two fumble recoveries that both were run in for a touchdown and three quarterback hurries in his high school career.

On Tuesday, Blackshear announced he is withdrawing his July 1 commitment from Temple University and will opt to instead commit to MSU just four days after making an official visit to East Lansing.

The three-star, 5-foot-10 receiver from Archbishop Wood High School in Warminster, Pa. is ranked the No. 258 wide receiver in the country and No. 38 in the state. 

Blackshear logged 395 receiving yards on 24 catches along with seven touchdowns and rushed for 409 yards on 55 carries, recording 10 touchdowns in his high school career. 

With Todd's, Person's and Blackshear's commitments, MSU now has 21 recruits in the class of 2017 with three already enrolled at MSU. 

Share and discuss “MSU football continues to add recruits as Signing Day nears” on social media.