Weekend recruiting recap for MSU football

Head coach Mark Dantonio walks back to the sidelines after talking with the team during a time out during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.

MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio’s roster for next season received more depth Saturday after linebacker Antjuan Simmons verbally committed to the Spartans.

Rated a four-star linebacker by 247Sports, Simmons had previously committed to Ohio State University in March, but later withdrew his verbal commitment toward the end of November after making an official visit to MSU on Nov. 12.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound outside linebacker from Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor is ranked No. 8 in the state of Michigan and No. 316 nationally by 247Sports.

According to Rivals, Simmons recorded 73 tackles and two interceptions in his senior season while adding 433 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns on 73 carries. Simmons chose MSU over numerous other schools including Ohio State, Arizona and Notre Dame.

With his commitment, the Spartans now have 18 commits from the class of 2017 including four-star lineman Kevin Jarvis, wide receiver Hunter Rison and cornerback Josiah Scott. 

In addition to Simmons' verbal commitment, MSU hosted a slew of 18 recruits on Friday, including six who are uncommitted. 

Among the recruits was wide receiver Oliver Martin. The 6-foot-0, four-star receiver from West Senior High School in Iowa is ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 233 nationally.

Martin has yet to announce his commitment, but has received numerous offers including MSU, Notre Dame, Iowa and Oregon. 

Four-star linebacker Nick Smith also visited East Lansing on Friday. Smith, an outside linebacker from Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Fla., originally committed to North Carolina State on July 22, but recently de-committed according to 247Sports. He has more than 20 offers including offers from MSU, Florida, NC State and LSU.

National Signing Day this year is Feb. 1 and it's the first day recruits are able to sign their Letter of Intent to schools.

Share and discuss “Weekend recruiting recap for MSU football” on social media.