Snyder makes new first-time MIP law official

Governor Rick Snyder signed Bills 332-333 into law Wednesday, reclassifying the first Minor in Possession offense, or MIP, as a civil infraction rather than a misdemeanor.

“I'm very happy that the MIP bill has been signed into law, I worked very hard for two years to get this passed," Jones said.

Once enacted, a person’s first MIP offense will now result in a $100 fine along with any court costs, which is less severe than the former $100 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

The bills had widespread bipartisan support and passed almost unanimously in the House and Senate, Michigan Senator Rick Jones (R-Grand Ledge), who introduced the bills, said previously.

Jones, who worked in law enforcement for over three decades, said he introduced the legislation because he perceived an inequality in how MIP laws were enforced across the state.

“The problem with the old Minor in Possession law was that it was clogging up our courts, putting kids in jail and jeopardizing the chances of some young people to get into college or get a job,” Jones said in a press release. “Under this new law, we will give young people one — and only one — chance to get their lives in order and avoid a criminal record.”

Jones said due to a change made in the House, the laws will take effect Jan 1, 2018.

Share and discuss “Snyder makes new first-time MIP law official” on social media.