More details emerge in Demetrious Cox late-night cab driver assault case

Senior defensive back Dexterous Cox (7) runs down the for a touchdown after receiving a 30-yard interception during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 12, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0.
Senior defensive back Dexterous Cox (7) runs down the for a touchdown after receiving a 30-yard interception during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 12, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

New details arose Thursday in the assault case of former MSU football player Demetrious Cox. 

Police records obtained by the Lansing State Journal stated Cox was allegedly drunk and lost when he punched a cab driver in an incident that took place last month in East Lansing.

The records revealed that a cab driver informed police that he picked up a customer, who would later be identified as Cox, at 2:45 a.m. in East Lansing on Nov. 24.

Cox then tried to give the driver directions to a residence on Oakridge Avenue, but managed to lead the driver to the exact location where he had picked up Cox. 

It was at that point that the 22-year-old from Jeannette, Pa. became very aggressive. 

According to the LSJ article, the driver told police Cox refused to pay for the cab fare, sat down a burrito and began to punch the driver ultimately sending him to the hospital and giving the driver a broken nose. 

The cab driver was said to have fled to a 7-Eleven where the driver would then call police. 

Upon questioning from East Lansing police, Cox was arrested after the officers concluded that he matched the driver's description, was eating a burrito and asked an officer for a ride to the same residence he asked the cab driver to take him to on Oakridge Avenue. 

After booking Cox into the jail at the East Lansing Police Department, records indicated that he had a blood alcohol level of .22. 

Cox was released on Thanksgiving Day on a bond of $200.   

Last week, Cox pleaded not guilty and later told the LSJ he was "falsely accused". 

Court records indicate the former MSU football team captain is being represented by ASMSU's Student Legal Services. 

If convicted, the LSJ reports Cox faces up to 93 days in jail. 

Share and discuss “More details emerge in Demetrious Cox late-night cab driver assault case” on social media.