Fifth-year safety Demetrious Cox cited for assault

Senior defensive back Dexterous Cox (7) runs down the for a touchdown after receiving a 30-yard interception during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 12, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0.
Senior defensive back Dexterous Cox (7) runs down the for a touchdown after receiving a 30-yard interception during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 12, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The Lansing State Journal reported Monday evening that fifth-year senior safety Demetrious Cox was arrested Nov. 24 at 3 a.m. and cited for misdemeanor assault.

The arrest occurred outside Menna’s Joint eatery, Cox told Lansing State Journal, adding that he was “was falsely accused of something, and it's going to work itself out, and I'm gonna move on."

He told the Lansing State Journal Monday that police told him he matched the description “somebody they're looking for, and then they put me in handcuffs.”

Cox did not travel to Penn State for the team’s game the result of a violation of team rules Dantonio told the press after Saturday’s 45-12 loss. Cox is a native of Jeannette, Penn. and emerged from Jeannette High School as a highly rated prospect across various recruiting sources.

The Lansing State Journal reported that Cox has not been charged and will have 10 days to appear in the 54B District Court to be arraigned. Cox faces up to 93 days in jail or a $500 fine or both if he is convicted.

As of 10 a.m. Tuesday, no statement on the incident had been issued by MSU.

Cox was voted a captain by his teammates in late August, but since has he had an anemic senior season appearing in 10 games in the 2016 campaign and recording 55 tackles, one interception and five pass break-ups. In 2015 Cox amassed 79 tackles, three interceptions and seven pass break-ups.

Share and discuss “Fifth-year safety Demetrious Cox cited for assault ” on social media.