Saturday, May 4, 2024

Takeaways from Mark Dantonio's recap against Michigan and preview of Illinois

Head coach Mark Dantonio yells at the players during a time out during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.

MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio is still searching for the answers to his team’s 2-6 overall record. Perhaps answers could come in the simplest form of victory, something the Spartans haven’t tasted since Sept. 17 against Notre Dame.

Champaign, Ill. might just be the best place to get that done. The Fighting Illini are coming off a 40-17 blowout loss to Minnesota and also sit at 2-6 record on the season. Dantonio is 3-0 against Illinois, including 2-0 on the road, and the Spartans have won 12 of the last 13 meetings against Illinois.

Dantonio addressed some of the issues he saw against the Wolverines, who dealt the Spartans their sixth straight loss, and looked ahead to his meeting with Illinois and their first-year head coach Lovie Smith.

1. No more new faces

With the injury to redshirt-freshman Brian Lewerke, MSU’s quarterback position loses some depth. With injuries already occurring to quarterbacks Damion Terry and Tyler O’Connor earlier in the season, the next man up would be freshman quarterback Messiah deWeaver. Dantonio said he will only play him if absolutely necessary.

“Our plans are not to take the redshirt off of Messiah deWeaver,” Dantonio said. “You never know what's going to happen. ... We'll see how it all shakes out based on practice this week, but we're going to try to win a football game. That's our focus. That's where we're at right now.”

With nine true freshmen already seeing game action this year, Dantonio has no plans of playing anymore new faces with just four games remaining on the schedule.

“Never say never because you don't know what's the next thing we're going to have to deal with, but at this point it's highly unlikely that we would take a redshirt off a guy," he said. "I think it's highly unlikely.”

2. Offensive line growth, fullback praise

The Spartans entered the game against a top-ranked U-M rush defense and proceeded to run the ball for more than 200 yards, mostly on the back of sophomore LJ Scott. Scott doesn’t deserve all the credit, however, in Dantonio's eyes.

“I think our blocking, in-line blocking, has been solid,” Dantonio said. “We're creating creases. On the edge, our tight ends, as well and our fullbacks, I think Prescott Line is a very underrated guy. He gets on people. If you watch the film, he gets on people and creates a dent. He's been very solid.”

Line, a transfer from Southern Methodist University, has seized the starting role of fullback and has been a key blocker for MSU all season long. His strong play, as well as the cohesion along the offensive line that they displayed against U-M, will be crucial if the Spartans want to make a run at the postseason.

3. Frey OK after collision

The Big Ten released a statement Tuesday regarding the hit on junior linebacker Chris Frey and issued a ruling that the play was not targeting. Dantonio still wanted to bring it to their attention, as his team has been on the wrong end of two targeting calls this season –– once to defensive lineman Malik McDowell against Indiana and again with linebacker Riley Bullough against Maryland.

Late in the second quarter against U-M, Frey was on the receiving end of a bell-ringing collision given by U-M linebacker Devin Bush. Frey went through concussion protocol on the sideline and was cleared to return.

“Our players who have any evidence of a concussion or take any big hit, they immediately see (Dr. David Kaufman),” Dantonio said. “They have baseline tests they must go through based on their past histories and things of that nature. They've gone through the protocol. ... The protocol was met by our trainers and by our doctors. He showed no symptoms of anything and still doesn't. He has a sore neck, but he's been cleared and fine.”

4. Wanted: Soldiers

Dantonio and his players have been in every single game they have lost, often times within one score or in the lead at halftime. The team, however, has not been able to finish strong and has helped contribute to their record.

“We need soldiers that keep marching,” Dantonio said. “We've always had good chemistry here. That will be maintained. Structure will be maintained. Order will be maintained. A competitive environment will be maintained.”

With just four guaranteed games left on their schedule, the Spartans will have to keep marching if they have any shot at that fifth game –– a potential postseason bowl appearance.

“We need to keep our eye on those goals and maintain the focus we have in order to accomplish those goals,” Dantonio said. ”If you don't concentrate on the present, your future goals are going to fade away on you, too. That's a basis for all of us. We'll continue to focus on that.”

Share and discuss “Takeaways from Mark Dantonio's recap against Michigan and preview of Illinois” on social media.