Redshirt-freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke suffers season-ending injury

Freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) stumbles while scrambling during the game against the University of Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.
Freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) stumbles while scrambling during the game against the University of Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Redshirt-freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke, who started two games and has appeared in four total for MSU, will miss the remainder of the season with a broken tibia. 

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said the team feared a torn ACL in Lewerke’s knee, but luckily the injury was not that serious. Dantonio also said he expects Lewerke to be ready for spring practice.

Lewerke entered the game against the University of Michigan late in the fourth and led two drives, one resulting in a touchdown, in an attempt to spark a potential comeback for the Spartans. He left after being sacked on a fourth-down attempt under the assistance of trainers and staff.

Lewerke has thrown for 381 yards and two touchdowns this season, and was 6-10 for 100 yards and one touchdown before exiting the U-M game with injury. Lewerke got his first career start at home against Northwestern, where he finished 12-19 for 99 yards and a touchdown.

The redshirt-freshman brought a change of pace to the quarterback position for the Spartans, as he was able to escape pressure and run for the MSU offense. He has 149 yards on 21 carries this year.

MSU is now left with fifth-year senior Tyler O’Connor, who has been the starter in every contest except Lewerke’s two games, and redshirt-junior Damion Terry who also left the game against the Wolverines with injury.

The Spartans also have freshman Messiah deWeaver, but are unlikely to take away his redshirt and play him this year. MSU plays Illinois on the road next week in search of their first Big Ten win. 

Share and discuss “Redshirt-freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke suffers season-ending injury” on social media.