Saturday, May 18, 2024

MSU left points on the field against U-M

Sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) runs the football during the game against the University of Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.

The University of Michigan defense stood tall on the line, snuffing out predictable plays that saw MSU line up with multiple tight ends and no receivers split out wide. After not being able to corral Scott for much of the day, the Wolverines swallowed him in perhaps the most crucial moments of the game.

“My thinking is that we have to get the inches,” head coach Mark Dantonio said. “Obviously, I was wrong. Ever since 2007 when Jehuu Caulcrick had 22 touchdowns, that’s what we do. But that was my decision and I’ll take the heat for it.”

MSU football had found itself in a game midway through the second quarter, trailing only 17-10. It was a game MSU had no business competing in, according to pundits and writers. MSU neither had the skill nor toughness it seemed to compete with the high-powered Wolverines. But nonetheless, no matter how close it got, MSU was just that far away from pulling off the upset.

Of its six red zone trips, MSU converted on only three of them. Other times, it let hard-earned chances slip from its grasp.

“We have to convert on our opportunities,” Dantonio said. “When you play a good football team, you can’t miss on opportunities. You have to make good on opportunities. A lot of that is play-calling, a lot of that is my decision making. A lot of that is execution.”

Scott churned through the U-M defensive line and upper levels for much of the first half with 93 yards rushing on 14 carries and a score. He finished with 22 carries for 139 yards.

The offense rushed for 217 yards and threw for 184 yards, largely behind an offensive line that’s picked up its pace in the last couple of weeks.

“Our offensive line took that as a challenge, and the last couple weeks they’ve been doing better,” co-offensive coordinator Dave Warner said of a better running game. “We found ways to try and get guards and our lines have been blocking well for the most part.”

MSU scrapped together multiple double-digit play drives, including a 12 play, 75-yard drive in 7:02 to start the game.

Quarterback play was still marred by inconsistency as Brian Lewerke, Damion Terry and Tyler O’Connor combined for 13-of-28, 184 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

But even with the improvements, it still wasn’t enough for the Spartans put together enough plays to forge an upset. They had whispered it during the week, one play could turn the tide. Those plays came, but never fully materialized, ending up inches short or guided by miscues.

“When things go right, it’s sort of a team deal, but we screwed up here and screwed up there and I think it’s the whole team,” Warner said.

Running back Gerald Holmes was stuffed on a fourth and one on the U-M 38-yard line, when a quarterback sneak was wide open. Kicker Michael Geiger missed a field goal. MSU failed to convert a fourth and goal in the fourth quarter.

“We were physical and we were tougher and had many opportunities in that game,” O’Connor said. “We just needed to score more points than we did.”

MSU had tried nearly everything but a trick play. It substituted quarterbacks and running backs, but the offense still wound up short. It’s looked better and will no doubt siphon some confidence from this game.

At the end of the day, it still has inches to go before it can pull off the big one. It’s been that way all season, and it might continue.

Share and discuss “MSU left points on the field against U-M” on social media.