Young depth lifts Spartans over Toronto in exhibition

Sophomore forward Mason Appleton (27) splits defenders during an exhibition game against the University of Toronto on Oct. 2, 2016 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans defeated the Blues 2-1 in an overtime shootout after ending regulation in a 2-2 tie.
Sophomore forward Mason Appleton (27) splits defenders during an exhibition game against the University of Toronto on Oct. 2, 2016 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans defeated the Blues 2-1 in an overtime shootout after ending regulation in a 2-2 tie. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

The MSU hockey team  defeated the University of Toronto in an exhibition shootout Sunday afternoon. For much of the game, the Spartans looked to hold the edge, evidenced by their 34-15 shot on goal advantage.

MSU head coach Tom Anastos and his staff brought in 10 freshmen this season — the largest freshman class since the 2012-13 season.

MSU's first line featured two freshmen getting their reps on the ice to start off the game. Freshman forward Logan Lambdin and redshirt-freshman defenseman Jerad Rosburg were a part of the starting lineup.

Both players each knotted an assist in the game.

As for how his fellow lineman, Lambdin, played, senior captain Joe Cox said he thought the freshman played well.

“Lambdin as a freshman, I thought he stepped up and played really well,” Cox said. “He was fast, he was talking, he was in the right places, he was doing all the systems really great. I really enjoyed playing with him today.”

With freshmen going up and down the ice seeing playing time, freshman goaltender John Lethemon also saw action in the net. He subbed into the game midway through the second period for junior Ed Minney.

“We came in with the plan that both (Lethemon and Minney) were going to play and see where that would go,” Anastos said. “We wanted to get both of them some experience … I think both those guys have the opportunity to play.”

Other than the influx of freshmen, the team brings back two key contributors that are still sophomores, adding talent to the team.

Defenseman Zach Osburn comes into his second year with the Spartans after being named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team last season. His 19 points were second among all Big Ten rookie defensemen in the 2015-16 campaign.

Along with Osburn comes sophomore forward Mason Appleton. Appleton was on the coaches’ preseason watch list, being the only Spartan to do so. The 6-foot-2 blueliner led the team last season with 17 assists.

“I mean, it’s cool to be on that list,” Appleton said. “I obviously wish that some other teammates were on that list because I think they’re very deserving of it. But obviously, it’s not something that I’m going to focus on. I’m here to help our team win games, and that’s what I want to see come out of the year.”

While Appleton said his focus was on winning games, he said so far early in the season the team’s mindset would be to be on the offensive side of things going forward.

“We’ve really preached attack this offseason,” Appleton said. “We’re going to force turnovers, we’re going to get going on the offensive. We’re going to make plays all over the ice and we’re going to try taking it to them for 60 minutes. We’re not going to sit back and let them play their game.”

The Spartans will be in action again when they hold the Green-White scrimmage at 4 p.m. on Oct. 9. at Munn Ice Arena.

Share and discuss “Young depth lifts Spartans over Toronto in exhibition” on social media.