MSU hockey ranked sixth in Big Ten preseason Coaches Poll

Senior defense Travis Walsh waits for a pass during a hockey game against Ohio State on March 12, 2016 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes in a shootout, 1-1.

With hockey season right around the corner, the Big Ten conference announced the preseason Coaches Poll, according to a press release. Of the six teams, MSU came in at No. 6 after a 10-23-4 record last season.

Along with the team rankings, the coaches also compiled a list of Big Ten players in their Preseason Watch List. Of the 13 players, sophomore forward Mason Appleton made the list representing MSU. During his freshman season, Appleton was named the team's Outstanding Rookie after leading the Spartans with 17 assists.

2016 BIG TEN COACHES PRESEASON POLL

1. Minnesota
  2. Ohio State University
  3. University of Michigan
  4. Penn State
  5. Wisconsin
  6. MSU

The Spartans will kick off their season with an exhibition game at 4 p.m. on Oct. 2 against the University of Toronto at Munn Ice Arena. Following the exhibition game will be the Green-White scrimmage at 4 p.m. on Oct. 9 at Munn.

Share and discuss “MSU hockey ranked sixth in Big Ten preseason Coaches Poll” on social media.