Tuesday, May 14, 2024

MSU defense looking to bottle up Indiana, improve on third downs

Wisconsin fullback Austin Ramesh (20) is tackled by sophomore safety Grayson Miller (44), defensive end Robert Bowers (91) and freshman safety David Dowell (28) during the game against Wisconsin on Sept. 24, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Badgers, 30-6.

Out of the seven third and long situations the Badgers converted four of them, resulting in longer drives and points, often through the air.

“Really the big factor was we didn’t get off the field on third down,” fifth-year senior safety Demetrious Cox said. “We have to make more plays on the ball, some guys weren’t where they needed to be at certain times.”

The secondary seemed to be lost in coverage, giving the Badger receivers space and enough distance for quarterback Alex Hornibrook to stay in the pocket and deliver the ball into secure windows.

“All of them could have been prevented, but you’ve got to give it to (Hornibrook), too,” head coach Mark Dantonio said. “He dropped a couple right on the dime.”

Dantonio also iterated that the gains and conversion were a product of players losing leverage on the receivers, allowing Wisconsin’s pass catchers to slip into soft areas.

As MSU rolls into Indiana, they face the task of stopping Indiana quarterback Richard Lagow who threw for just under 500 yards last week.

“They’re going to launch it downfield,” Cox said. “But that’s what we’ve been up against though, so we’re just going to lock in and come with more of a focus.”

Lagow put the ball in the air nearly 50 times against Wake Forest, and after seeing how the Badgers were able to pick up yards through the air on crucial downs, Indiana would be remiss to not test the MSU secondary.

But with the spread out air attack, underneath coverage will fall heavily on the MSU linebacking corps that has now lost two men to injury.

“We have to switch our mindset from pound, pound, pound,” junior linebacker Chris Frey said. “Be smart, read our keys, whether it’s run, pass, and play smart.”

At his weekly press conference Tuesday, Dantonio said junior linebacker Jon Reschke would miss significant time and already injured fifth-year senior linebacker Riley Bullough remains out for the week.

The starting linebacking duties now fall squarely on Frey, junior Shane Jones and sophomore Andrew Dowell.

Dowell started in the season opener against Furman and Jones took over for Bullough last week.

Others who could see time in the rotation include Byron Bullough and possibly Grayson Miller, a sophomore safety who saw time at linebacker during spring practice.

“When you play a team like Indiana, they try and tire you out,” Frey said. “Guys are going to have to rotate in and guys are going to have to know what they’re doing.”

Linebacker Ed Davis has been seeing more reps, Frey said, and should factor as well against Indiana. Coming off an injury, however, is not always the smoothest transition.

Davis will need time and more than likely a hit or two to get his legs back underneath him.

As for Indiana’s targets, three receivers have combined for 41 of the team’s 63 receptions. Mitchell Paige and Nick Westbrook have each collected 15 receptions, though Westbrook has amassed 332 yards.

Bottling up the Hoosiers will be the objective this week. If MSU can’t find the leverage expect Indiana to keep the pressure through the air.

Share and discuss “MSU defense looking to bottle up Indiana, improve on third downs” on social media.