Tuesday, March 19, 2024

MSU linebacker Reschke out 'a significant time,' Bullough day-to-day

Teammates congratulate junior linebacker Jon Reschke (33) during the game against Notre Dame on Sept. 17, 2016 at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish, 36-28.
Teammates congratulate junior linebacker Jon Reschke (33) during the game against Notre Dame on Sept. 17, 2016 at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish, 36-28. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

On Tuesday, Mark Dantonio announced that junior linebacker Jon Reschke would be out “for a significant period of time” with an ankle sprain. Dantonio also said  Riley Bullough is day-to-day and a decision will be made on his status later in the week.

Dantonio added he is “optimistic” that Reschke will be back in action by the end of the year. Reschke was still listed as the starter at the STAR linebacker position on the depth chart.

The Spartans will have to replace the production of Reschke, who after missing week one against Furman was the Spartan defensive player of the week following the Notre Dame game. On the season, Reschke has 13 tackles, one for loss and one interception.

“Hopefully we get Ed Davis back, he’s getting better and better,” Dantonio said. “We’ve got guys who have played (at linebacker). We've got guys who know what to do there so we have got to pick up the slack. It’s an opportunity for people to grow.”

Andrew Dowell, the listed backup for Reschke, will most likely get the start for the Spartans when they take on Indiana. Dantonio described Dowell as a guy who will be a “significant factor” in the game.

“He’s a guy that can go play after play after play at 100 miles an hour,” Dantonio said. “He’s one of those types of guys, tremendously conditioned athlete.”

As for Bullough, junior Shane Jones is listed as the starter on the MSU depth chart. Dantonio said guys like his brother Byron Bullough and potentially even sophomore safety Grayson Miller, who saw some time at linebacker last season, could get some reps. 

Share and discuss “MSU linebacker Reschke out 'a significant time,' Bullough day-to-day” on social media.