Laughter is the Cure to Life to put on Riverboat show

Advertising sophomore Sam Silverstein performs during his comedy show, Laughter is the Cure to Life, on Feb. 16, 2016 in the Business College Complex. Silverstein donated all of the proceeds from the event to Mott's Children's Hospital.
Advertising sophomore Sam Silverstein performs during his comedy show, Laughter is the Cure to Life, on Feb. 16, 2016 in the Business College Complex. Silverstein donated all of the proceeds from the event to Mott's Children's Hospital. —
Photo by Alice Kole | and Alice Kole The State News

With a goal to spread laughter and help those in need, former MSU student Sam Silverstein and Berkley, Mich. resident Nick Tenaglia, the founders of Laughter is the Cure to Life, have revamped their performance for a one night event.

“Laughter is the cure is a non-profit that we set up that allows us to do what we love by putting on comedy shows, making weekly videos and trying to make people smile any way we can while raising money for childhood cancer,” Silverstein said.

The organization was created by longtime friends Silverstein and Tenaglia as a platform to combine what they love to do with helping others.

On Sept. 29, the pair will host an event unlike the shows they’ve put on before. Not only will this show be taking place on The Riverboat for the first time, but the content will be different as well.

“Since we (perform for) Michigan State all the time, we wanted to change it up a little bit, so we decided that being able to do a show on a boat and having an afterparty on a boat would be a cool way for us to sort of give back to everyone that has been supporting us over the years and give them a really fun event in (return),” Silverstein said.

After previously performing primarily in theaters and auditoriums, the two said they look forward to changing up the location and bringing a new feel to the show.

“It’ll be very relaxed, very personal,” Tenaglia said.

They also won’t be performing their main stage show they tour with. Instead, the night will include a series of stand-up comedians, including Silverstein and Tenaglia, Mike Geeter, Diego Attanasio and Nicole Aimee Schreiber.

Following the performances, there will be an afterparty on the boat as a way for Silverstein and Tenaglia to thank the audience for attending.

This past summer, the pair put on a show at the University of Michigan, as well as in Berkley, Mich. Next up, they plan on performing at Grand Valley State University, Ohio State University, Central Michigan University, Western University and Ferris State University.

“There’s no negative sides to it," Silverstein said. "We get to do what we love to do and try to make people laugh and smile. We get to bring toys and games to these kids who need laughter more than any of us do. I guess my favorite part is just that it’s such a fun, positive experience for everyone who goes — it’s just a lot of happiness.” 

Share and discuss “Laughter is the Cure to Life to put on Riverboat show ” on social media.