Tuesday, March 19, 2024

ASMSU prepares and recruits during summer

<p>International relations sophomore Lorenzo Santavicca listens to the general assembly April 20, 2016&nbsp;at Student Services Building. Photo: Sundeep Dhanjal</p>

International relations sophomore Lorenzo Santavicca listens to the general assembly April 20, 2016 at Student Services Building. Photo: Sundeep Dhanjal

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, will have low numbers but still be present on campus, along with their services.

“This really is a time for transition,” Vice President for Academic Affairs Tyler Orlando said.

Orlando said ASMSU will only have three members of the Office of the President present in the summer.

“For students still in East Lansing for the summer, ASMSU still offers its services,” Orlando said. “It’s just there’s less people in the office essentially.”

The transition period for ASMSU comes in the summer while the members prepare for the academic year.

“What we do during the school year comes from things that are done over the summer,” Vice President for Finance and Operations Jason Barnett said.

Barnett said ASMSU sets up many of their contracts for the academic year during the summer, including their Readership Program, which supplies newspapers to all students with a MSU ID.

Barnett said he has been working on MSU’s budget, increases in the Bike Share Program and the renting of graphing calculators. ASMSU allocated $12,000 toward launching the graphing calculator rentals to mirror their iClicker program.

ASMSU’s Bike Share Program is set to increase from eight bikes in one location to 40 bikes in five locations, Barnett said.

Orlando said he is preparing to begin meetings with MSU’s administration, which he will do on a regular basis throughout the academic year.

He said some ASMSU members will be attending a conference with other Big Ten schools in July.

Another important aspect of their summer is ASMSU’s presence at the Academic Orientation Program, or AOP.

“That’s really how we build our freshman class councils,” Orlando said.

Orlando was recruited by ASMSU at his own AOP.

“It is (a) major, major point of where we can attract students because many students don’t know what ASMSU is,” Orlando said.

Orlando will be in East Lansing for the entire summer working for ASMSU.

“It was an interesting aspect to be here when not a lot of students are,” Barnett said. He said he has spent every summer in East Lansing until this one.

Share and discuss “ASMSU prepares and recruits during summer” on social media.