Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Cedar Village: Scene of fires, crowds erupt after last-second football win

Cedar Village erupted in celebration after MSU's dramatic 16-13 win against Iowa in a last-minute touchdown in the Big Ten Championship. Residents and students set on fire, among other things, a giant teddy bear and a dumpster.

Going from silence to uproar in a matter of seconds during the game Saturday night, Cedar Village was the scene of a massive celebration involving police in riot gear trying to quell the celebration which was quickly getting out of hand.

At least three people were arrested during the celebration, two of them after a number of firecrackers were set off in the middle of the crowd which was steadily increasing in size, sending multiple people running away from smoldering ashes. 

No firetrucks were seen in Cedar Village, even after two fires were lit. The first major one of the night involved a giant teddy bear which was seen burning a ways from the main crowd.

The second major fire was lit in a dumpster which the crowd bolted towards until police in riot gear set up a perimeter and began pushing the crowd back. Only moments later the police divided the main crowd in two and began piecemeal dispersing the crowd.

Smoke from the dumpster fire floated throughout Cedar Village and made it as far as Grand River Avenue. At one point the flames rose very close to a tree that stood over it.

It is unclear what individuals arrested will be charged with. In past revelries, individuals have been charged with disorderly conduct, remaining within 300 feet of a fire or even arson.

Stay with statenews.com as more information, videos and photos become available.

Share and discuss “Cedar Village: Scene of fires, crowds erupt after last-second football win” on social media.