Five takeaways from MSU's 52-26 victory against Indiana

<p>Frey broke out onto the scene his freshman year and recorded 19 tackles that season, earning an honorable mention selection on the All-Big Ten Freshman team. His numbers might be lower than Bullough’s, but he was awarded the team’s unsung hero on defense award. Frey will garner time at the STAR spot this spring, where he’s listed as the potential starter alongside Andrew Dowell. </p><p>Frey’s experience will be key as Dowell &mdash; though as touted as he is &mdash; spent most of last season on special teams.&nbsp;</p>

Frey broke out onto the scene his freshman year and recorded 19 tackles that season, earning an honorable mention selection on the All-Big Ten Freshman team. His numbers might be lower than Bullough’s, but he was awarded the team’s unsung hero on defense award. Frey will garner time at the STAR spot this spring, where he’s listed as the potential starter alongside Andrew Dowell.

Frey’s experience will be key as Dowell — though as touted as he is — spent most of last season on special teams. 

Senior quarterback Connor Cook looked as good as he has all season. Cook made some impressive, NFL-caliber throws en route to a record day.

He finished the game with 30 completions, 398 passing yards and four touchdown passes — all personal bests.

The senior finished the game three yards shy of breaking MSU’s single game passing record.

Cook joked that he begged for one last passing play to break the record, but finished it by saying he would be happy with 15 passing yards as long as the Spartans got a win.

For the first time all season, the Spartans closed out a game convincingly. MSU was up just five and Indiana was hanging around with about nine minutes left.

However, MSU went on a 4:22 touchdown drive to go up two scores and they never looked back. Eventually piling on late to cover the spread when favored for the first time this season.

“I think we’re right where we need to be going into a bye,” Cook said. “Guys are going to get healthy, guys are going to get back.”

Special teams continued to be a factor in the game. The Spartans had some big plays on special teams, but there were also quite a few bad ones.

A botched field goal attempt at the end of the first half led to a fumble and an Indiana recovery and the punting game was suspect, yet again.

However, Indiana’s special teams unit was just as bad if not worse. The Hoosiers missed two extra points and a 42-yard field goal attempt.

Aside from freshman running back LJ Scott’s 18-yard and 26-yard runs during the Spartans second to last drive, and sophomore running back Gerald Holmes 22-yard touchdown carry on the last drive — the running game was suspect all day.

MSU finished the game with 142 rushing yards, but 66 of them came on three runs at the end of the game.

“I don’t think we need a No. 1 running back personally, we’ve got three or four guys that have made plays for us,” head coach Mark Dantonio said. “We’re going to always ride the hot guy.”

The secondary was suspect for the Spartans, despite some big stops. Junior cornerback Demetrious Cox was abused all game and the Hoosiers went after him often.

Indiana’s senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld finished the game with 308 passing yards and three touchdown passes.

MSU junior safety Mark Meyers returned to the team from his suspension this week.

The junior was able to get into the game and make some quality plays as one of the older guys in the secondary.

The Spartans won’t use helmets or shoulder pads during this week of practice. Dantonio wanted to give his team an opportunity to heal mentioning that practices are often very competitive.

Dantonio also mentioned that while his team won’t have contact during the bye week, and many of the other coaches will be on the recruiting trail.

“I said one of two things are going to happen,” Dantonio said. “Either we’re going to win the game and I’m going to give you a week off or we’re going to lose the game and I’m not going to want to see you.”

Share and discuss “Five takeaways from MSU's 52-26 victory against Indiana” on social media.