Friday, May 3, 2024

FINAL: Connor Cook's big day leads MSU past Indiana, 52-26

<p>Then senior quarterback Connor Cook looks to pass during the game against Indiana on Oct. 24, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 52-26.</p>

Then senior quarterback Connor Cook looks to pass during the game against Indiana on Oct. 24, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 52-26.

The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 52-26, Saturday evening at Spartan Stadium.

In a game where the Spartans rushing attack was absent when it mattered, it was senior quarterback Connor Cook who picked up the slack. Cook passed for 398 yards, two yards shy of a MSU single-game record, with 30 completions on 52 attempts and four touchdowns.

The Hoosiers were able to move the ball through the air, as senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld threw for 308 yards, but were unable to score late in the game.

The first drive of the second half belonged to the Spartans and they capitalized on a 13-yard pass from Cook to junior tight end Josiah Price. The scoring drive gave the Spartans breathing room, 28-20, and lasted 3:44 on 11 plays for 42 yards.

The Hoosiers responded with a scoring drive of their own, closing the gap to 28-26 on a three-yard passing touchdown from Sudfeld to senior wide receiver Andre Booker, with 9:45 remaining in the third quarter.

The third quarter would end with the MSU 28-26 lead holding still and the time of possession differential being plus-14:32 for the Spartans, but Indiana’s offense had been threatening through three as it put together 360 total yards.

On into the fourth quarter, the Spartans were able to continue controlling the clock and went up 31-26 on a 21-yard field goal kick by junior kicker Michael Geiger.

On the Hoosiers’ ensuing possession, the Spartans received a huge advantage on an eight-yard sack by senior defensive tackle Joel Heath after a reviewed fumble remained in favor of the Hoosiers.

The Spartans took over with 9:19 remaining in the game and stellar passing by Cook brought the Spartans into Indiana territory. MSU would go up two scores on a 10-yard pass from Cook to junior wide receiver R.J. Shelton, making the score 38-26, with 4:57 remaining.

It was freshman running back LJ Scott who sealed the victory for the Spartans, as he ran in a touchdown from 26 yards out, making the score 45-26 with just over two minutes remaining in the game.

The Hoosiers fumbled on their ensuing possession, leading to a 22-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Gerald Holmes, making the score 52-26.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Connor Cook's big day leads MSU past Indiana, 52-26” on social media.