Life of Lansing firefighter Dennis Rodeman celebrated at memorial on campus

Entering in through a silent crowd with the sounds of bagpipes in the background, hundreds of uniformed men and women from police and fire departments around the state, coupled with a few in United States Marines dress uniforms, entered the Breslin Student Events Center and paid their respects to fallen Lansing firefighter Dennis Rodeman before marching in order to their seats.

A memorial service for Rodeman was hosted at Breslin Center on Wednesday, preceding a funeral procession to the funeral home almost 40 miles away.

Rodeman was killed in the line of duty while collecting money for charity. 22-year-old Grant Jacob Taylor, a former MSU student, is charged with his murder.

After an alleged argument with Rodeman, Taylor drove off, turned around and ran him down, apparently angry that Rodeman was holding up traffic.

During the memorial service, several speakers talked about Rodeman's dedication to the job, his kind and upbeat nature and his love of pranks.

Before becoming a firefighter, Rodeman served in the United States Marine Corps in Fallujah, Iraq during the Iraq War. 

"Dennis was a good firefighter, and in this business that's the best compliment you can give someone," International Association of Fire Fighters Local 421 President Chris Lake said.

His eulogy was given by pastor Marty Garn, who read a number of passages from the Bible and made connections to Christ being the ultimate first responder. 

Pastor Doug Bradshaw praised Rodeman's wife, Kate, who was able to keep faithful to God during this time, and urged her to remember the love they shared as she raised their yet unborn child. 

They had been married since June. 

"I'm secure in the belief that Dennis lives on"

"I'm secure in the belief that Dennis lives on," Garn said.

An emotional speech was given by Lansing Fire Department Chief Randy Talifarro, who spoke about death being something first responders see on a regular basis and sometimes have to block out. He said firefighters nation-wide will be worse off with Rodeman's death.

"He was one of the most positive people in my department," Talifarro said. 

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero had a few words to say about Rodeman as well.

"He faithfully answered the calls of family, friends and community... service was his life," Bernero said.

After speeches were concluded, there was a bell-ringing ceremony, a tradition when a firefighter falls in the line of duty.

The American flag draped over Rodeman's casket was then ceremoniously folded and given to his wife, after which the casket and many uniformed personnel marched out of the Breslin Center while the bagpipes played "Amazing Grace."

A preliminary conference for Grant Taylor is scheduled for this Friday in 54A District Court. 

Share and discuss “Life of Lansing firefighter Dennis Rodeman celebrated at memorial on campus ” on social media.