Former MSU student arraigned on murder charge after striking a firefighter with his car

<p>East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

Update 4:13 p.m.

Taylor was angry that firefighters collecting donations were slowing down traffic, the Lansing State Journal is reporting citing court documents.

He honked his horn at Rodeman and threw an apple core at him before allegedly turning around to run down Rodeman with his truck.

Update on Sept 14: There were contradicting reports regarding whether or not Taylor was a current MSU student at the time of his arraignment.The Lansing State Journal had reported he was a student up until this summer. However, Taylor still appears in MSU's registrar search as a psychology junior. After speaking with MSU's office of the registrar it has been confirmed Taylor is no longer currently enrolled at MSU. The headline and the story have been revised to reflect those findings. 

A former MSU student was arraigned Thursday afternoon on a murder charge after allegedly striking a firefighter with his vehicle, the Lansing State Journal is reporting.

The suspect is 22-year-old Grant Jacob Taylor, a former psychology junior at MSU who was enrolled until this summer.

Along with murder, he is charged with failure to stop at a scene of personal injury accident causing death and two counts of third degree fleeing and eluding after Lansing firefighter Dennis Rodeman was struck while collecting donations for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Rodeman was in a center turn lane collecting money and had a verbal exchange with Taylor, who then allegedly drove off, turned around and struck Rodeman. Police believe he intentionally hit Rodeman with his car, according to the LSJ.

He was struck at about 3:45 p.m. and was pronounced dead at around 6:30 p.m. at Sparrow Hospital.

Taylor is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in 54A District Court.

Share and discuss “Former MSU student arraigned on murder charge after striking a firefighter with his car” on social media.