LETTER: MSU's color is too dark, doesn't stick out

A few weeks ago, there I was, sitting at the latest Final Four in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on April 4.

Across from me sat the vibrant blue of the Kentucky fans. Below were the equally bright blue of the Duke partisans. And at the other end of the stadium was the eye-popping red of the Wisconsin followers.

The thousands of MSU fans in attendance? Pretty much invisible. Again.

Be it a bowl game, an NCAA basketball tournament or any other large gathering, you can be pretty sure that the Spartan faithful in their dark green colors will be largely invisible to the on-site spectators, as well as to the TV audience. MSU fans merely blend into the rest of the crowd.

The reason is pretty simple. MSU’s dark forest green color is almost imperceptible to the human eye.

As proof, why do you suppose MSU has “white out” games in the basketball season and not “green out” games? Could it be because fans dressed in white make such a dynamic visual impression?

So isn’t it about time MSU did something about that other color in the equation? As in, consider switching to a brighter, more resonant and more vibrant green?

In a modern, electronic age when first impressions often mean so much, how can we not try something new?

The alternative is to continue to allow Spartan athletic teams and their followers to exist in near-visual obscurity on the national stage.

Go green! By all means. Let’s just be sure the world can see it

Larry P. Miller

MSU graduate — 1960

B.A. in Journalism

Share and discuss “LETTER: MSU's color is too dark, doesn't stick out” on social media.