Police release name of person killed in shooting, give suspect descriptions

<p>Police units arrive at the scene on Feb. 6, 2015, at the Grove Ramp where a shooting occurred just after midnight. Police had cordoned off the ramp at all entrances, in addition to the entrance to the apartments next door. Emily Nagle/The State News</p>

Police units arrive at the scene on Feb. 6, 2015, at the Grove Ramp where a shooting occurred just after midnight. Police had cordoned off the ramp at all entrances, in addition to the entrance to the apartments next door. Emily Nagle/The State News

Photo by Emily Nagle | The State News

UPDATE, 10:50 a.m. The victim of last night's shooting has been identified as Michael Anthony Smith of DeWitt Township, according to a statement from East Lansing police.

"Smith died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds he received during the shooting," the statement said."The second victim, a 21-year-old DeWitt Township man, received non-life threatening injuries and has since been treated and released for those injuries."

The statement said neither of victims are MSU students.

Police also provided vague descriptions of the suspects in the case. The first is described as a black male, 5-foot, 9-inches tall, weighing between 165 and 180 lbs. and lest seen wearing "a hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans." The second is described as a 5-foot 11-inch black male, weighing about 200 lbs.

"The suspects were seen fleeing the scene in a vehicle described as a red, four-door sedan, possibly a Lincoln or Dodge," police said.

UPDATE, 3:33 a.m. East Lansing police have released a statement on the shooting, announcing one death, one injured individual and that neither of two suspects have been apprehended.

"Upon arrival, officers located two individuals suffering from gunshot wounds. Both were immediately transported to the hospital by E.L. Medics," the statement said. "One victim did not survive his injuries. He has been identified as a 22-year-old Lansing resident. The second victim, a 21-year-old Lansing resident, suffered non-life threatening injuries."

A shooting in downtown East Lansing rattled the area just after midnight Friday, drawing a heavy police response to the Grove Street Parking Garage.

Jameson McCaige, a 22-year-old Holt resident, said he was walking to a bar when he was one of the first on the scene when he heard several gunshots.

"(I) figured I should go check it out and make sure everybody's OK, ran down the alleyway, right here, and just yelled 'Is anybody hurt?' and there's one guy said he was hurt, so I jumped up there to see," McCaige said.

McCaige said he helped a person who had been shot.

He said he took his coat up to the victim and "tried to keep him warm, tried to keep him awake and responsive, you know."

Scanner reports said one of the victims, who was shot with his own firearm, was taken to Lansing's Sparrow Hospital following the altercation. Sparrow Hospital could not confirm the condition of the victim since police have not released a name.

In addition, scanner reports pointed to drugs and alcohol as a factor in the shooting.

Michael Cooper, a psychology junior, was enjoying his Thursday evening in his house just behind the parking structure when the shooting occurred.

"The music was kind of loud, I started hearing cracks. I walked outside, I probably heard close to eight to ten," Cooper said. "At that point, I saw a bunch of cop cars just fly by us. One pulled up right in front of our house and I saw a cop get out with an assault rifle."

He said he asked an officer what was happening, to which the officer replied "Someone just got shot. Stay inside."

Ernest Klingler is a 22-year-old supervisor for the parking department. He said he was called to the scene by the Grove parking ramp's booth attendant.

"On the stretcher they were taking him out, he was non-responsive. And they were pumping on his chest, defibrillating him. They took him into the ambulance and took off after that," Klingler said. "He was on a stretcher, he was laid out flat. "

After the shooting, it appeared much of East Lansing's nightlife had come to an abrupt end for the evening. HopCat and Peppino's seemed almost empty after the incident.

East Lansing police did not immediately respond to requests for information. According to an MSU Alert, police are "currently investigating a vehicle that is possibly involved."

Share and discuss “Police release name of person killed in shooting, give suspect descriptions” on social media.