Board of Trustees approves budget, including 2.8 percent in-state tuition increase

The Board of Trustees meeting Friday approved a $1.2 billion budget and raised tuition by 2.8 percent.

The fifth consecutive tuition increase splits to a 2.6 percent increase for lower division in-state students, which amounts to $11.25 more per credit hour. There will be 2.9 percent increase, or $13.75 more per credit hour, for upper division in-state students.

In-state lower division students who take 30 credits next year would pay about $13,200 overall, and in-state upper division students with 30 credit hours will pay about $14,708.

“If you look at the outcome of what we've been trying to accomplish with the socioeconomic distribution of our students, the demand for Michigan State University and the fact that when you apply there is a cost calculator so our cost is not unknown to people who apply," President Lou Anna K. Simon said. "They're applying here for value. We need to be able to keep costs down but also sustain the value for today and tomorrow. This budget we believe tries to balance all of those needs."

Out-of-state undergraduate students will see a tuition increase of 3.6 percent, which amounts to $41 more per credit hour. A student taking 30 credit hours will pay $34,965.

Multiple professors received salary increases and tenure beginning next school year. After almost 30 years working with the college, John Baker was unanimously promoted to become the dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine. The promotion came with a salary increase to $250,000.

Provost June Youatt said she believes Baker has a great vision for where the university needs to be within the next few years.

The board approved the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams project,or FRIB, to receive $648,700,000 in federal funds for the final leg of the project. The building for the project, which will help scientists make discoveries about rare isotopes, should be completed by December 2020. It is required to be completed by June 2022.

The board approved for the T. B. Simon Power Plant to receive $4,500,000 to move from coal to gas power. Vice president of Infrastructure, Planning and Facilities Kemel Dawkins said that, while the technology is new, it is the best option for the plant.

ASMSU president and human biology senior James Conwell said his concern is directed towards the state making education a priority.

“We used to believe that education was a public good and that it was good for the state and good for the country,” Conwell said. “If we start seeing education value at the state, we’ll see debt go down and prosperity go up. ... It’s important to note that Michigan State University has done a great job with less and less resources from the state.”

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves budget, including 2.8 percent in-state tuition increase” on social media.